Pages

Friday 21 April 2017

28 Fireplace @ Persiaran Ampang

I was last here with my friends for some late night coffee drinking, that included French toast and pancakes, after a phenomenal meaty affair at Flint.

After having a little teaser of what 28 Fireplace @ Ampang could offer...plus I did say, as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, I'll be back.....and so I did, a week later, for dinner.  Actually, looking at their menu, they seem more inclined towards a breakfast and coffee place with breakfast staples, gourmet sandwiches and salads making up the bigger part of their menu.  But they're introducing some new additions to their menu (as seen on their Facebook page).

I only realised that they were introducing these new dishes as weekend specials (and they aren't permanently on the menu yet) when I was there.  For the week that I was there, they offered a menu of four dishes which was clearly displayed at their counter.  So, until their menu (version 4.0) is finalised, their weekend specials might differ on different weekends.

Since we were here to try some of their newly introduced dishes, we started with the Zucchini & Corn Fritters @ RM28 with beef bacon and an avocado and pineapple salad.  FYI, it was a disaster when I tried making corn fritters at home once, so it'll be to my best interest to have someone professional cook these for me...hehe! ;D

The two fairly large zucchini and corn fritters on the plate were nice and thick with crisp edges.  It was served with (what I was told) tzatziki sauce that's usually made with chopped cucumbers (which I initially thought were chopped gherkins), yoghurt, dill and lemon juice.  It was a refreshing and satisfying dip for the fritters.

I absolutely loved the very refreshing and tangy avocado and pineapple salad that came along with the dish. What's not to love...it had two of my favourite fruits tossed simply with lemon juice and black pepper together with cherry tomatoes and chopped parsley! ^.^

From the name of the dish, one might think it sounds like a starter (for sharing...or maybe not!) but the portion size of it all makes it fulfilling enough as a main.

Their next introduced dish of Chicken Schnitzel with Capers & Beans @ RM30 was served with potato salad, sauteed french beans, tomatoes, caramelised shallots and capers with a drizzle of a balsamic reduction sauce and a separate serving of what looked like mustard (which I didn't taste as I don't like mustard).

This chicken schnitzel was slightly different from the ones I know and had before.  This one wasn't the thinly pounded parmesan and breadcrumbs-coated deep-fried cutlet of chicken I'm used to.  It was a thick cut of chicken breast (almost like a roulade) that looked like it was pan-fried although it did have that crispy parmesan and breadcrumbs coating sprinkled generously on top.

The chicken breast was tender but (overall) may feel a little on the dry side (towards the end) because of the crispy topping and the fact that it didn't come with sauces (that are to my liking, unfortunately) to help moisten up the meat.  The vegetables and the shallots with capers did offer some relieve....and the potato salad was very nice too.  Having said that, the dish was certainly well executed and should prove satisfactory for many, just that (personally) I can't take too much breadcrumb-coated fried meat (like tonkatsu) in one sitting as I sometimes find it too dry for my taste buds.

The final dish from the new menu we tried was the Norwegian Salmon Steak with Oyster Mushrooms & Mash @ RM45 served with grilled cherry tomatoes and finished with a scattering of fresh dill.

The salmon was seared beautifully on the outside (just look at that ideal browning both top and bottom) and the tremendously crispy skin was such a delight to eat.

Whenever I see salmon steak on the menu, I always have to ask if it's actually a fillet or steak cut (since some places use it interchangeably).  I don't like a steak cut (with a centre bone) as the thin cut makes it very easy to overcook.  This wasn't a steak cut, so salmon fillet would probably be a better description.  Seasoned just right, this salmon fillet was perfectly cooked, still pink in the middle and moist to the bite....exquisitely pleasurable! ^o^

The potato mash, with sliced oyster mushrooms and chopped herbs, was chunky and rustic and a tasty companion to the salmon.  All in all, a great dish that I enjoyed immensely.

Our drinks of Flat White @ RM12....

.....and Iced Latte @ RM13.  The coffees are always good here...

....and always pretty as well! ;)

My Personal Opinion

This is a great cafe and fast becoming one of my favourites in this part of town (that's closer to home).  Their exciting version 4.0 menu is certainly on the right track with these add-on hot dishes to their menu of mostly pastas, gourmet sandwiches and salads.

The three dishes that we tried will be great additions to their menu when it's finalised.  I certainly hope the salmon fillet and zucchini and corn fritters make it on the menu permanently as I'd love to have them again.

After two visits, I'm absolutely certain that there'll be a third.....and a fourth...and a....!  Well, I've been here for dinner and after-dinner snacks, it's time I come when the sun is up...for some morning brekkies! ^_~

28 Fireplace
28 Persiaran Ampang
50450 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-4265 5077

10 comments:

  1. The tangy avocado & pineapple salad really caught my attention as I love pineapples but never thought about it as a salad dish. Now I have a new idea to add them to my salad. All the dishes looked delicious esp this Chicken Schnitzel with Capers & Beans which is also new to me. I like that kind of cozy cafe!

    I was just discussing with my wife last week about some cafes which have different daily menus and that idea was not being well received by some locals. I told her that this style is not new as I remembered one tiny cafe inside Menara Promet which displayed their daily menus written on a blackboard. All the office workers loved that place because everything was cheap & good. That was over 20 years ago!! Ha ha....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need a combo of permanent dishes and different daily menus for it to work so that customers can fall back on their favourites if the daily dishes turn out not to their liking. Here, it isn't a case of different daily menus, just that they're introducing/experimenting with some new dishes to see which ones the customers like before putting them permanently on their new menu.

      Delete
  2. Well, I'm glad you returned to discover more goodies. I wouldn't have been able to resist the zucchini and corn fritters! Looks very good and filling with the beef bacon and avocado and pineapple salad. I guess you will be a familiar face over there, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so...but probably not too regularly coz I still have lots more places I want to try. Having someone cook the fritters sure beats making them at home! ;)

      Delete
  3. ooo, looks like they're now putting a lot of serious effort into their food! for a pretty long time, they were basically cakes, snacks and coffee ... the cooking looks tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually attracted by this new menu to come and try coz their previous offerings of mainly salads, pastas and sandwiches weren't very enticing as a dinner menu.

      Delete
  4. It's been such a long time since my last visit. Thanks for the reminder of our 'local.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's great to have a cafe like this in our locale. Time for a revisit to try out their new dinner menu? ;)

      Delete
  5. I saw PH duplicate that corn fritters and the result was good!
    I like this version of Chicken Schnitzel because I don't my food drenched in sauce :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I suppose you must enjoy tonkatsu a lot! ^_* Yes, PH managed to duplicate the corn fritters very well =)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...