Pages

Friday 11 March 2016

Foo Foo Fine Desserts @ Taman Tun Dr Ismail

After having our lunch deliciously fulfilled at WhupWhup.....we went hunting for our sweet course and ended up at Foo Foo Fine Desserts (now known as Foo Foo Classic Desserts) @ Taman Tun Dr Ismail (see a theme forming here...haha....from WhupWhup to FooFoo)! ;D

Barely a month old when we visited, it was eatdrinkkl's blog that first pointed us this way.  Notice the word 'fine' in the name....so, associate this to fine dining in terms of price, portion and presentation (except it applies only to desserts here).

Foo Foo is focussed on creating elegant and delicate desserts, made with high quality ingredients, paired with their own unique house-made ice creams flavours without the use of any stabilisers (I was told).

Seated down in this cosy little first floor cafe, we got down to ordering a few desserts for sharing.  We started off with the Mango Lychee Ice Cream Slice with Fruit Salsa @ RM22 (supposedly their best seller as per their Facebook).

It features a layer of biscuit base and lychee jelly sandwiching a layer of mango ice cream and fresh mango sorbet in between.  It's topped with a fruit salsa, sprinkled with baked meringue, on one end and fresh lychees on the other.  The fruit salsa of zesty mango and pineapple cubes was perfectly fresh and lovely.

A visual feast for our eyes as well as our palates, it was my favourite dessert of the lot that evening.  If you like mango and a not too sweet offering, like I do, this will be your favourite too...immensely refreshing with a pretty, fruity taste :)

Next up, I ordered the Apple Galette with Kaffir Lime Ice Cream @ RM26 coz I was eager to know how a unique flavour like kaffir lime ice cream would taste like.

The galette is made up of thin, crunchy green apple slices on top of a rectangular puff pastry with almond filling.

The apple galette, baked to a nice crisp, with light golden layers of pastry, was served with an intensely flavoured kaffir lime ice cream.  If you like the aroma and fragrance of kaffir lime leaves, you're bound to love this ice cream...coz I certainly did....it was the best ice cream flavour for me here!

Certainly attractive looking in terms of presentation, the Strawberry Tart with Balsamic Vinegar Ice Cream @ RM27 arrived next full of promise.

As described on their Facebook, it's a buttery short crust filled with frangipani, homemade strawberry compote and creme patissiere, topped with sliced strawberries and one scoop of balsamic vinegar ice cream.

Everyone knows that strawberries and balsamic vinegar is a classic combination but the first spoonful of the balsamic vinegar ice cream tasted a bit funky (to me) initially.  However, when eaten in a mouthful of everything together, it took on a more pleasant dimension.

Finally, the Crispy Profiteroles with Salted Caramel Coffee Ice Cream @ RM22 arrived looking like mini burgers sitting atop a segment of a grilled orange (would have preferred a thicker slice though).

Who wouldn't like an ice cream sandwich, right?

It was an elegant dessert offering a contrast of flavours and textures...from sweet/salty nuances from the salted caramel, bitterness from the coffee ice cream to the tangy orange and crispness of the profiteroles.

They also offer ice creams by the scoop with flavours like balsamic vinegar, salted caramel coffee, kaffir lime, spicy chocolate and rose petal.  Their ice creams are delicate and creamy....and intensely flavoured. Eat them quickly as they melt pretty fast.

I spotted rose petal on the menu and thought I'd enjoy this flavour (seeing that we had most of the other flavours already + I quite enjoyed the rose petal tea at 2Scones 1Cup), so I ordered the Rose Petal @ RM9 a scoop, hoping that it would taste somewhat similar.

But this was way more intense in flavour....made with real rose buds...it tasted like if you were chewing rose petals in your mouth (which may or may not be a good thing depending if you like the taste of rose petals :D)...which, in the end, proved too sweet for my liking.

We washed down all the desserts with their 100% natural, freshly squeezed fruit juices of Watermelon & Pineapple @ RM10 a glass.

When I saw pineapple juice on the menu, I jumped on it immediately as it's not a commonly offered fruit juice at most places.  The pineapple juice was especially refreshing and thirst quenching with just the right balance of sweet and tangy flavours.


And finally, there was a cute moo moo at Foo Foo (drawn by my friend's lil' girl :)

My Personal Opinion

Foo Foo to me means something fancy schmancy and upper class....and that's exactly what the desserts here feel like.  If you want some unconventional ice cream flavours, this is the place to go though some may be a bit too unconventional to appeal to your taste buds immediately.  

My favourites were definitely the Mango Lychee Ice Cream Slice with Fruit Salsa and the Kaffir Lime Ice Cream.  The unique ice cream flavours were a bit of a 'hit and miss' for me...some seemed to work while some I didn't care for actually.

Even though prices may be a notch lower than some fine dining restaurants and 5-star hotels, it's still considered on the higher end for many (since it costs as much as a main in cafes), so it's not something we can indulge in regularly.  Certainly more apt for special and celebratory occasions when we're in the mood for something more frilly and elegant.

So, from Whup Whup to Foo Foo....and then came a "moo moo", it was time to say "bye bye" after a "yum yum" experience! ;D

Foo Foo Classic Desserts
64A First Floor
Jalan Burhanuddin Helmi
Taman Tun Dr Ismail
60000 Kuala Lumpur

16 comments:

  1. Definitely not something we usually see/have, very unique desserts indeed but the pricing...... >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can try...once....these unique but pricey desserts.

      Delete
  2. That's what I thought when I saw your post title - from WhupWhup to Foo Foo LOL! The desserts here sure look very sophisticated with a price to match. Since it is in TTDI which is very close by to me, I might want to swing by one day and try the Crispy Profiteroles with Salted Caramel Coffee Ice Cream. Your friend's little girl can draw very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll go for the Mango Lychee one rather than the profiteroles though if I come here again.

      Delete
    2. She is my girl, thanks for the compliment ^_^

      Delete
  3. that's quite a feast of desserts ... now that this place has established itself with its opening selection of desserts, it'll be very interesting to see what the next creations they'll come up with here are! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm sure they'll come up with new creations in due time :)

      Delete
  4. Just wondering have you chewed rose petals before? Maybe I should buy organic rose to chew to see whether they are sweet naturally or not but does different coloured rose have different taste?

    I am talking nonsense here because I am too shocked by the fine price, hehehehe but organic rose may be more expensive especially a black rose or a blue rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I can see that you're in "shock"! When you smell roses (even if you don't chew them), that's the taste the ice cream mimics. I'm not saying roses taste naturally sweet, I'm saying the rose petal ice cream was very sweet.

      Delete
    2. OK, thanks, now that I am over the shock, I get what you mean. You meant "the rose petal ice cream tasted like the smell of fresh real roses". Have a nice Sunday!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the look inside their menu - I've heard lots of positive feedback about this place, but have yet to visit. Now Kaffir Lime Ice Cream - that sounds like a flavour I'd like to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do try that one...it was a rather unique flavour and turned out to be my favourite :)

      Delete
  6. The name already suggests it's going to be a higher end establishment. Haha. I read that as frou frou. The desserts look beautiful though, really amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some were really amazing. I suppose frou frou would work too....hehe! ;D

      Delete
  7. You ll never regret for visiting this place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I gather you liked this place...and thanks for dropping by my blog :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...