Pages

Friday 13 May 2016

Revisit: The Press Room Bistro @ Pavilion

The Press Room Bistro @ Pavilion is one of my favourite restaurants in my favourite shopping mall serving modern European fare and great Josper Oven specialities.  I've blogged about this place before (twice actually).....1) for their breakfast options and 2) for their spectacular tenderloin steak.  I remember vividly that the Josper Oven cooked steak was just awesome.

Glancing at the menu, I noticed that it wasn't as extensive as it used to be (some have been taken off, some remained and some new) but (overall) still offer some good and varied choices for diners.

After making our orders, a complimentary plate of toasted ciabatta (it used to be sourdough) arrived.  No butter was given but extra virgin olive oil (El Silencio) and red wine vinegar (La Oscuridad) were available tableside for dipping.

We ordered a starter of Saffron Seafood Soup @ RM27 which is a saffron scented soup with assorted seafood and cream.  The soup had just the right consistency with depth of flavour.

It came filled with the freshest of ingredients from de-shelled clams to prawns that were fresh and bouncy (in a good way) to soft and flaky pieces of white fish.  It was very good!

For our mains, we went with an order of Beef Cheeks @ RM46 made up of braised beef cheeks, potato puree, roasted vine ripen tomatoes with tarragon and horseradish cream.  Many a time I've seen beef cheeks on the menu but I've shunned away from ordering it not knowing what to expect or fearing it might not be tender (since it's a lean and tough cut of meat).

But I was glad I finally threw caution to the wind and ordered it for the first time.  This one was perfection on a plate!  It was obvious that this was cooked low and slow to make it immensely tender with a rich, deep flavour.

Not only was it super duper meltingly tender, the beef cheeks were juicy and luscious too having absorbed all the goodness of the braising liquid.  You don't need the services of a knife at all coz it's absolutely fork tender. I was pleasantly blown away...truly sensational!  I wouldn't mind having this again and again.

The potato puree wasn't going to play second fiddle to the beef cheeks either, it was equally stunning.  It was one of the two smoothest and silkiest mashed potatoes I've had the pleasure of eating (the other being from Ohla Tapas & Cocktails).  And then you have the vine ripen tomatoes for a burst of juiciness and sweetness (quite unlike the usual cherry tomatoes which are often more acidic in taste) to cut through the meaty goodness.

Our other main was the Penne in Creamy Mushroom Sauce @ RM22 with wild mushrooms and asparagus. We're not fans of pasta in cloying thick cream sauce but this one was just nice, not overly thick, and one we had no difficulty finishing.

The wild mushrooms, on the other hand, imparted an earthy, meaty flavour while the sliced asparagus provided a crunchy element to the dish.  Yet another winner!

Our drinks:

Chilled Fruit Juice of Pineapple @ RM12
Iced Lemon Tea @ RM11

My Personal Opinion

I'm never disappointed with the food nor the service in this place and it has become a favourite haunt for its convenient location (for me) for bovine pleasures.  Prices may be a bit upmarket but it's truly worth it with such fresh produce in the hands of expert cooks.  If you're dining here, the meats (or fish) cooked in their Josper Oven is a must-try...my ultimate favourites are their tenderloin steak and (now) beef cheeks.

Since my meals here have always been memorable.....and ultimately satisfying, it's a no-brainer that I'll keep coming back for more! ;)

The Press Room Bistro
Lots C3.10.02 Level 3 Connection
Pavilion Kuala Lumpur
168 Jalan Bukit Bintang
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-2148 3889

8 comments:

  1. You had me staring at the beef cheeks! I've never had this cut before and I have heard about how good it is and you have confirmed it. I am also not a fan of creamy pasta and usually avoid it but this Penne in Creamy Mushroom sauce seems agreeable with you and I guess I would possibly like it too. Well, got to bodek my brother to try out this place. We hardly venture out of PJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, maybe you don't have to. Find a good steak place in PJ with beef cheeks on the menu! ;)

      Delete
  2. Nothing can go wrong regardless of what you order here then, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The portion of the beef cheek looks big, good for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the portion is good for one or maybe because it was so good, I could finish it all by myself! ;)

      Delete
  4. I love the first two orders - saffron seafood soup is lovely when it's done well, with great seafood and just the right proportion of saffron - and slow-cooked beef cheeks are fantastic too - love their gelatinous fleshiness! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know I would love the beef cheeks so much...and now that I know, I'd probably order it more often! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...