Pages

Monday 21 March 2016

Kanna Curry House (Banana Leaf Rice) @ Sec 17 PJ

Banana Leaf Rice, one of Malaysia's favourite Indian food, is liked by many although personally I'm not such a big fan and that's because I don't particularly fancy the usual dishes like varuval or peratal that go with these meals.  But I do eat banana leaf rice occasionally coz I do love rice with an assortment of vegetables and pickles, flooded with curry and a side of crispy papadums.

So, when I want to indulge in a bit of banana leaf rice after Sunday mass, my usual place is Kanna Curry House @ Section 17 PJ since it's one where the banana leaf rice is available early in the morning (like around 10am) when most other Indian restaurants (including Kanna in the past) do not serve banana leaf rice until at least after 11am.  I have been to Kanna numerous times over the years although it's usually for a roti canai breakfast more than anything else (check out my previous post here) but, during a more recent experience, the roti wasn't as good (just one off or maybe a different person making them that day?).

But today I'm here for their banana leaf rice as they're popularly known, having been voted the "Best Banana Leaf Rice Restaurant in Klang Valley" by the Star's People Food Awards + making it to many foodies list of Top 10, it remains one of the most well-patronised banana leaf rice eateries.  But, if you want to eat here, you have to get over the fact that they don't use real banana leaves here, it's a paper version that looks like a banana leaf! >.<

Most banana leaf rice restaurants offer between 2 - 5 veggies and here at Kanna there's usually three...and on that day, it was cabbage, radish and cucumber (yay, non-mushy ones).

Also, a must-have condiment at any banana leaf meal...papadums!  The papadums and the various vegetables are the basics, and they're all refillable, before you choose your add-ons ;)  Though I was the only one having banana leaf rice (out of the four of us at the table...my family does not like banana leaf rice all that much either), they were more than willing to let me have refills but I told them I didn't need any (in fact, I saw the table next to us where one member had banana leaf rice while the other had roti canai, yet the server scooped veggies for both of them...very nice of him).

The contraption carrying the 3 types of curries....fish, chicken and dhal will be left on your table for you to "banjir" (flood) your rice with as much as you like.  My favourite is the chicken and dhal.

You'll also get a complimentary rasam, which is a type of South Indian soup that's traditionally prepared with tamarind juice as a base, that's supposed to stimulate appetite and aids digestion.  However, I've never learned to appreciate rasam, so it was left practically untouched.

I'd be more than happy with just this simple meal of rice, veggies, papadum and lots of curry @ RM6.30 per person....and all are refillable on request to appease even those with hearty appetites! ;D

As with any banana leaf rice, there are many types of add-ons to your banana leaf meal for you to choose (be it chicken, mutton or seafood...and cooked in various styles like curries, varuval or peratal).  Personally, I'm not a huge fan of these styles, though I do eat them occasionally, but I've not eaten enough to comment on how good they are or aren't.

I'd usually go for the fried stuff like this Fried Squid @ RM7.60 that's a perennial favourite of ours and the difference of this one was the onions and curry leaves.  Freshly fried with onions for sweetness and curry leaves to add fragrance to the squid, they were tender and crisp.

Every bit of the onions and curry leaves won't go to waste (wished there were more).  I especially like to chew on the fried curry leaves to release a burst of fragrance in the mouth...absolutely delish!

The Fried Chicken @ RM5.80 a piece (for a whole chicken leg) is another must-order for us for its moist meat and crunchy skin.  The chicken leg arrived whole and we asked it to be cut and it came back looking like this unfortunately....butchered to death! O_o

Ok, here's a more flattering pic of the fried chicken leg coz, the next time we ordered it, we made sure we left it as it is.

The Fried Tenggiri @ RM5.50 for half a piece (it was a fairly thick cut) is something only I enjoy.  At times the fish is fresh and moist but, other times, it may be a bit on the dry side.

Having these dishes with my banana leaf rice is all I need for a fulfilling and satisfying banana leaf rice indulgence! ;)

If you're not into banana leaf rice, you can still enjoy all these dishes with a packet of Nasi Lemak @ RM1.90. Nothing great, just ordinary and edible.

My Personal Opinion

Since I'm not that into banana leaf rice + I've not eaten most of the dishes served with banana leaf rice here, I can't say if it's the best banana leaf rice restaurants in Klang Valley but probably among some of the best judging from the full crowd on Sundays (making parking here a nightmare) >_<

But I certainly think that the fried squid (with onions and curry leaves) and their fried vadai (my favourite vadai so far) are among some of the better ones I've had.

For loyal enthusiasts of banana leaf rice, you be the judge if they're worthy of the title given by the Star's People Food Awards...or their self-claim of 'Finest Banana Leaf Concept in Klang Valley'....hehe! ;D

Restoran Kanna Curry House
29 Jalan 17/45
46400 Petaling Jaya
Selangor

13 comments:

  1. I've been to Kanna a few times. It's quite good but I prefer the mutton curry at Krishna Curry House, so that's where me and my family usually go. I've also tried their fried squid and it's very nice. That chopped up chicken hah..hah... that's how my chicken looks like when I attempt to chop it >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why our generation don't chop chicken....we don't know how so we buy already chopped chicken.....hehe! ;D The next time you're there, try the vadai (that's if you like vadai).

      Delete
  2. A banana leaf rice place that uses fake banana leaves being voted and the best banana leaf rice place... Susah lah macam tu dei...

    Like you, I never learned to appreciate those exotic South Indian dishes too. When I go for BLR my add on is always fried chicken hahaha >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or fried squid....or fried fish...or fried anything...haha! :D

      I guess, in the end, they got the votes because it was the taste that mattered >.<

      Delete
  3. I am not familiar with the term varuval or peratal so I looked them up. Apparently Chicken Varuval means South Indian Dry-Fried Chicken where varuval means dry fried (or goreng kering sampai garing). Peratal just means dry preparation. So does this mean that you don't like to eat the food prepared in the dry style since you emphasize a few times in the post above that you don't like varuval and peratal. At first I thought they are some sort of spices or curry mix that you don't like the taste of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't differentiate between the two also but I was told that the varuval is more of a dry fry with spices with no gravy and the peratal is more like a dry curry. I'm actually not very fond of the abundant Indian spices in their food preparation.

      Delete
  4. I wanted to eat at Kanna Curry House since I like to eat banana leaf rice but when I got there and saw the fake banana leaf, I left. Hahahaha, I am someone who just cannot get past the fake banana leaf. I rather they serve the banana leaf rice on plates that look like banana leaf and not papar printed to look like banana leaf. Maybe I can do takeaway but then it would not be a banana leaf rice eating experience since takeaway does not provide the unlimited refills of veges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If given a choice of the two, I'd rather have my BLR on a fake banana leaf than a fake banana leaf plate (that I hate even more). Coz you need to put a lot of different dishes on your 'banana leaf' and the plate (with limited space) would hinder all that! :P

      Delete
    2. I prefer plates than paper because it is more environmental friendly than paper though not as friendly as real banana leaves.

      Delete
  5. i have friends who swear that kanna was great once upon a time, and that it's not quite as glorious in recent years ... but based on what you had, it sure still looks like a satisfying meal :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been eating at Kanna for many years and I agree (with your friends) that they're not as good as they used to be but still a decent eat.

      Delete
  6. I prefer places that use the real banana leaf too. Although I did read somewhere that they might not be so healthy with the heavy use of pesticides that are used in production these days. I suppose though that unless what goes on it is organic, then it probably makes little difference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you've put it that way, maybe the real banana leaf is not such a wise choice either! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...