Pages

Monday 20 February 2017

Just One Food - Nando's New Mango & Lime Flavour

It was Sean's comment on my Crispy Baked Chicken Wings post which first alerted me that Nando's have a new flavour....the all new Mango & Lime (introduced in January).  And since I haven't had Nando's in a while, what better time than now to try out the new flavour! ;)

I've always liked Nando's coz I prefer grilled, roasted or baked chicken to deep-fried ones but I wasn't crazy over any of their peri-peri sauce unfortunately (neither is my family).

I usually stick to Lemon & Herb but the sound of Mango & Lime attracted me instantly as I love citrusy flavours.  I ordered a 1/4 Chicken (Mango & Lime) with 2 sides (Peri Wedges & Coleslaw) @ RM20.80 (and asked for the drumstick portion).

When the platter arrived...aiks....it's been a while since I had Nando's but I think I know what a 1/4 chicken looks like...and this wasn't it.  I wouldn't call that a 1/4 chicken...I would call that a chicken leg! O_o Flavour wise, it's a little fruity and tangy, slightly sweet as we'd come to expect since it's marinated in mango and lime.  When I took the first few bites, the mango and lime flavour was obviously there but, after a few more bites, the flavour kinda got lost and wasn't as easily detected.  I was hoping for a deeper marination and probably a much more intense flavour of the mango and lime.  Not withstanding that, this Mango & Lime is still my new favourite flavour! ^o^

Because of the small portion size where you actually get a chicken leg rather than a 1/4 chicken, this was certainly not sufficient...even for a small-eater.  I think I can easily devour two (maybe even three) chicken legs on my own (without any sides, of course) but then Nando's is probably aware of this and that's why they pile on the sides so that you don't leave feeling as if the meal wasn't enough.

Just look at the amount of peri wedges they gave...it filled up more than half the plate (it made me "jelat" eating so much wedges which, in the end, I had  to pass to my husband to finish).  And that coleslaw...what coleslaw...they aren't finely shredded, I won't even call it coleslaw...they're coarsely chopped up cabbage and carrot with mayo (better to choose another side than this poorly executed one).

My husband had the 1/4 Chicken (Lemon & Herb) with 2 sides (Garlic Bread & Peri Wedges) @ RM20.90 and was the wiser one to choose the wing section.  Now, at least this one looked like a proper 1/4 chicken! So, if you need a bigger portion size, you know which section to order! ;)  Again, look at the size of the garlic bread which tells you that they're trying to fill you up with sides...but I'm not interested in the sides >_<

My son ordered the Chicken Tenders (Lemon & Herb) with 2 sides (Spicy Rice & Peri Wedges) @ RM13.90. Yikes, the size of the potato wedges are even bigger than the chicken tenders.

The Tropical Fruitea @ RM9.90 (also new on the menu), made with Mango & Lime and infused with orange juice and lemon tea was zesty and zingy, not sweet....and truly refreshing.  You can certainly taste the mango and lime in the drink.  Now, this I love! ^.^

Foto Nando's.
photo credit: Nando's Facebook

Do give this Mango & Lime flavour a try if you're into citrusy flavours (like me)...but a word of caution....don't expect the chicken to come out looking well browned like in their menu...coz it won't be! :D

It looks like this! ^_~

Maybe next time, I should add on these Mango & Lime Chicken Wings (3 pcs) for RM14.90 to my 1/4 chicken chicken leg.

You know what...I think I might have just found my new favourite flavour.  It's delicious alright...maybe not #UnbelievablyDelicious (as they claim)...kekeke! ;D  If you love all things tangy and zesty, this should appeal to you.  Give this all new Mango & Lime flavour a try the next time you're at Nando's! ;)

12 comments:

  1. Hubby likes Nando's. I'll have to let him know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really a big fan of Nando's since they opened doors in Malaysia. I always like to order their pita wraps which gives me the oomph! I often bought their hot flaming peri sauce to dip other chicken meals at home.
    I must go and visit them to try the new flavours. TQ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, hot flaming peri sauce....you've got one fiery tongue! >.<

      Delete
  3. Ooo, yay, you enjoyed the flavour! :) personally I think I still prefer the older flavours - the mango-like one tasted a bit too artificial for me - it actually made me think of bubble gum! ;) I ordered a whole chicken for home delivery and managed to finish it in one sitting, for one person (without any sides though) - so I do agree with you about the chicken size ;) I feel like having Kenny rogers next - they've been promoting their new "spicy gilerrrr" flavour :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps my chicken leg was such a small portion, I didn't have enough to get that artificial bubble gum taste (that's why I mentioned the flavour was not distinct)....haha! :D The portion is so small, so I can understand why a guy can devour the whole chicken. As I know you can't handle heat, so I'm surprised you'd want to try something call "spicy gilerrrr" (which means it's gila hot!) ;D I wouldn't dare try.

      Delete
  4. I have always been disappointed with the way Nando's define "1/4 chicken" since way back when to be honest. It seems they don't consider the body part of the chicken as... well, part of the chicken.

    Also, I don't like their veggie side dishes. Not the coleslaw, and not the grilled veggie. If I go Nando's, I usually get the wedges and garlic bread as sides, which is... well, not the healthiest of options. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they've certainly got the definition of "1/4 chicken" all wrong. As far as I'm concerned, a 1/4 chicken means a chicken that's cut into half and that half cut again into half which means the drumstick portion should come with the rest of the body associated with the chicken leg.

      I can understand why you chose the wedges and garlic bread (like my spouse)...coz the portion of those sides ensure you come away feeling full.

      Delete
  5. I have been to Nandos only two or 3 times and honestly, I was not impressed by the flavor of their peri-peri chicken. This mango (my fav fruit) and lime flavor sounds promising but that "1/4" chicken is unforgivable lah. Where got 1/4 like that. And I won't want the wing part because I don't like chicken breast >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like you and I share the same taste quite often. I too am not a fan of any of their peri-peri sauce. I'd opt for the Lemon & Herb until this new flavour came round. Yeah, the 1/4 chicken here is not quite your size, you may end up having to eat a whole chicken (like Sean) to be fully satisfied! :(

      Delete
  6. I had Nando's last 2 weeks too but didn't try the new flavor because the server told me it is slightly spicy and since I need to share with Sam so I didn't get it. Does it tasted spicy?
    I love Peri Peri sauce, especially the garlic flavor and I always stock a bottle at home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember it tasting spicy (on my adult tongue). Ai, how to share when the portion is so small? I think Sam can finish one chicken leg on her own! ;P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...