Pages

Monday 14 March 2016

TWG Tea @ Pavilion

I came to Pavilion on a mission to look for a particular type of watch brand as a birthday present for a friend. But it was not until I walked the length and breadth of two floors that I managed to find the watch shop that I was looking for.  And it was in the most unlikely places...just at the entrance to Tokyo Street.  Finally!!  But that was before I found out they didn't carry the design I was looking for! >:( 

Looking for some respite, I stepped into TWG Tea @ Pavilion to soothe my tired legs after an unsuccessful mission.

I've walked past this place many times but have never stepped in coz I'm more of a coffee person, and then I thought to myself, why not have a TWG tea drinking experience...at least once...since it's been said that if you've never tried TWG tea, then you've missed out on one of life's great pleasures.

Walking in, one can't help but be mesmerised by the fine and exquisite salon and boutique that's TWG.  From the dark wooden chairs and white linen table cloth to the servers' white uniforms, it was like a page off the Orient Express (not that I've been on the Orient Express....kekeke!) :D

TWG teas on display

More teas on display

What attracted me even more were these beautiful teapots and teacups on display.

Even more colourful teacups on display

Fancy buying some expensive tea sets for your tea party? ;)

Seated down and confronted with an all white ensemble, you know you'd be in for some stylish and chic dining experience......"tai tai" mode on! XD

I was given two menus, one for food and the other for tea.  It was mind-boggling the types of teas they have which filled something like 8 pages of the tea menu.  Most are priced around RM19 to RM33.50 though I did see one as high as RM423.50 (yikes!) O_o

The breakfast set menu offers 4 breakfast sets...Paris, London (RM32 with scones or muffins), Singapore (RM41 with poached eggs & truffle oil) and New York Breakfast (RM45 with eggs benedict & smoked salmon)....and all come with a selection of TWG tea from their extensive tea list and a freshly squeezed juice.

I chose the Paris Breakfast @ RM32 as I wanted just a light breakfast.  The set came with a choice of a plain or chocolate croissant served with TWG tea jelly and whipped cream.

The Plain Croissant was one of the worst croissants I've ever eaten...it wasn't crisp, nor buttery, nor flaky.  It tasted like yesterday's croissant, otherwise why would there be a need to warm it up if it was freshly made that day.

TWG prides itself on making their own Tea Jelly.  It was alright, not too sweet but certainly nothing extraordinary.  The Whipped Cream I didn't care for really.

Also included in the set was either a freshly squeezed orange (or apple) juice and your selection of TWG tea, of course.

Since I don't drink tea (all that much) and know next to nothing about teas, I asked the nice gentleman to recommend me something floral or fruity and he suggested Pink Flamingo Tea (I think I remember seeing this one priced at RM21).

So, Pink Flamingo Tea it is then.  It came in an "atas" (high class) looking gold-coloured teapot, the bottom of which has obviously seen better times.  You probably get about 3 cups from one teapot (and it's non-refillable).

A tea blend of green tea made with crimson hibiscus blossoms, it had floral, fruity overtones...and in a pretty shade of rose....lovely :)

Ahh....soothing and nice...no complaints here!

These tea sets are for sale should you want to bring one home.

The dainty teacup in which the tea was served was wide and shallow.  I'm not sure why it's like that coz it didn't help one bit in maintaining the temperature of the tea.

The tea didn't keep hot for long...so much so that the crystal sugar (not regular sugar) had difficulty melting when I decided to put some in.

My Personal Opinion

Looking at the price of RM32, most would find it not worth the money as you can probably get a good breakfast platter at any cafe for under RM32 but, then again, you won't be sipping TWG tea with it.  So, think of it as a tea experience (for RM21) rather than a glass of orange juice and a crappy croissant (for RM11) >_<

Maybe if I had been there at the right time (with some lady friends) and gone for an afternoon tea set with scones, finger sandwiches, mini desserts and what-nots, my tea experience could have been better.  Having said that, would I be back for another tea experience?  Probably not.  Unless I truly love teas.  In the end, it was just a nice tea experience in an elegant place...and nothing more (for me).  But I'm glad I did it anyway...for the experience of "been there, done that" kind of thing..and, along the way, I managed to capture some nice photos for my blog.

TWG Tea
P2.16.00, 2.34.01 & 2.34.02 
Level 2 Pavilion KL
168 Jalan Bukit Bintang
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-2142 9922

15 comments:

  1. That was a very pricey tea experience. But at least you've tried and you know what TWG is all about. Not for me, this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's just a tea experience that I thought I should try at least once ;)

      Delete
  2. Tried once at Mid Valley, love the ambience and definitely make me feel like I'm a rich Tai Tai however I don't like the non-refillable tea, every sip is so "expensive" =.="

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why it's supposed to be sipped and enjoyed slowly...kekeke! ;D Even though it's not refillable, 3 cups was quite sufficient for me.

      Delete
  3. twg did manage to create a mini-buzz when it opened in pavilion several years back ... i think they have a few other branches in the klang valley now ... hmmm, i can't remember if i've ever tried their croissant, but your description definitely means i shouldn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you've eaten a lot of great croissants that you certainly don't need this one...haha! :D

      Delete
  4. Me too, I see it quite a few times but was always deterred by the "rich" looks of it. Er... I guess not for me. I don't mind spending on F&B, but has to be something that I feel I will enjoy :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily you said it's not for you....otherwise, hmmm...coz this is more of a girl's thing! :D

      Delete
    2. Oi, drinking tea is a gentleman thing. Pity they market it as a girl thing over here. :/

      Delete
  5. Not a big fan of tea.. but I do like Chinese Tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I prefer Chinese tea over English tea :)

      Delete
  6. The last time I was here was a couple of years back and I seem to remember a delicious lemon curd tart that we had at tea time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't check out what desserts they had that day but I'm sure I'd enjoy a lemon curd tart if there was one.

      Delete
  7. For a minute I thought the tea pot really has that emoticon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there was one, they'd have to give you a pot based on your emotions that day...kekeke! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...