Pages

Friday 18 March 2016

Tulip by That Latte Place @ Sunway Pyramid

It all started with a small garden cafe in 2012 called That Latte Place.  But my first encounter with the owners of this establishment was at their outlet, Map's @ Bandar Sunway (in 2014), when I was invited by my husband's cousin for her lil' girl's one year old birthday party...and I've been a fan ever since....simple cafe food that's good tasting and affordable.

The husband and wife team followed that up with the opening of That Latte Place @ ikon Connaught (or more like relocation in August 2014 of their earlier outlet in Persiaran Ritchie).

Business must be thriving with the opening of yet another outlet, Tulip by That Latte Place @ Sunway Pyramid, their third in December 2015.  Arriving on a Sunday morning, just after 10am, the place was rather quiet (still early or probably new) with only 3 - 4 tables occupied but the place quickly filled up later.

Stepping into the cafe, the design and ambience of this one probably looks the most professional looking of their 3 outposts but not nearly as cosy as Map's for me.  Plus, I wished that there was a touch of fresh (instead of all artificial) flowers on their counters and tables.

For families with children, you'd be happy to note that there's a nice little corner with tent and toys to keep your little ones occupied.  There are even chairs for mommies to sit if they want to be there to oversee their precious little ones.

I don't know the story behind the name "Tulip by That Latte Place" but, if I were to guess, I'll probably associate it with a certain pork luncheon meat brand....haha! :D  Anyway, the sign says it all "Tulip - where pork blooms"...and indeed it does!

Seated down and looking at the menu, I find that their porky options to be the most extensive of their 3 outlets.  They've kept some of their more popular dishes (at their other outlets) on the menu like bruschetta, pork balls and egg ben but have also introduced some new dishes like Oh-My-Ribs (their tender, juicy prime pork ribs), Signature Pork-Chetta (their homemade roasted porchetta), Sausage Galore, some pork chop dishes and more.

My spouse chose their Pork Burger @ RM17.90 with a homemade pork patty and cheese on a homemade brioche bun with salsa, fries and their in-house special red pesto sauce.

But we wanted to double our pleasure with...well....Double Your Pleasure @ RM9.90 with a double pork patty and an additional two slices of streaky bacon...and we all know that crispy bacon is always a pleasure! *Muacks*

Their homemade ground pork patty, like their signature pork balls, had a nice sear and were succulent and juicy.  The red pesto sauce and salsa of cucumber, tomatoes and onions provided a fresh and crunchy texture to the burger (although I would have personally preferred a fruit salsa containing maybe mangoes or pineapples for an even fresher and sweeter injection of flavours).

My son had the Sausage Galore @ RM23.90, made up of gourmet sausages of one chorizo, one BBQ and three breakfast sausages served with roasted potatoes, coleslaw and fresh greens (though no coleslaw appeared on the plate).

Of the three sausages, the chorizo had the most flavour and was the tastiest of the lot.

I went with something new on the menu, the Piggy Chop @ RM21.90 featuring two pieces of tender chops flambeed with rum served with roasted potatoes (or pilaf rice) and sauteed greens (of broccoli, carrots and french beans) in a herbed gravy.

Two slices of thin pork chops arrived with some herb vinaigrette on top.  I wouldn't say the chops were tender but (luckily) they were thin slices, so it wasn't as chewy.  Thankfully, the herbed gravy was delicious and made the chops moist and I wouldn't have mind more gravy though.

We can always get tender pulled pork, tender pork ribs, tender beef, tender lamb...but somehow never tender pork chops.  I've eaten many pork chops in my lifetime but, to this day, I'm still searching for that elusive tender pork chop....perhaps there's no such thing as tender pork chops (since the cut is so lean)! :'(

Iced White Coffee @ RM10...their coffees are decent as always

My Personal Opinion

If Map's @ Bandar Sunway has endeared you to them, I see no reason why you wouldn't be liking this one as well.

Fans of porky dishes, particularly bacon.....it's a "pop" (power of pork) sensation and one that'll satisfy all your oink-oink cravings. 

There are a lot more dishes here I've not tried, so it's a certainty that I'll be back for those.

Tulip by That Latte Place
LG 2.88 Sunway Pyramid
No 3 Jalan PJS 11/15
46150 Petaling Jaya
Selangor
Tel: 016-850 3546

21 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I love everything that you ordered. OK, another place added to my growing list of places to eat :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to contribute to your growing list! ;)

      Delete
  2. Pork chop is always made with the lean cuts one, cannot tender one lah. It would be wasteful to use the better cuts to make pork chop to be honest... :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What better cuts? Pork belly?

      Delete
    2. I guess I should just give up on finding a tender pork chop.

      Delete
    3. They use the pork belly for their porchetta dish.

      Delete
  3. The winner of the 3 dishes all of you ordered must be the pork burger with its add-ons (double your pleasure) making it RM27.80++ for the whole burger. Let me check with my spouse whether he is interested to try this oink oink burger or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tender pork chop? I think cooking pork chop the western way by just marinating it and then grill it won't result in a tender pork chop. I know when my mother cooks pork chop the chinese way, she will hammer the piece of lean pork meat with a kitchen tenderizer hammer/mallet for a long time and later after pan frying it lightly, the piece of pork chop is very, very tender (goes without saying since no meat can withstand being pounded with a heavy kitchen hammer meant for tenderizing meat).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, after all the bashing, the piece of pork chop is very thin and that's why it's tender. I've eaten this type at western stalls in coffee shops before where they pound it until so thin before grilling or breading (and deep-frying) it.

      Delete
    2. If you start off with a thick slab, then after all the pounding the slab will be tender but not thin, it is still thick. Chinese style pork chop is just pan fried lightly.

      Delete
  5. this is quite the porky post - patties, bacon, sausages & chops! guess what i feel like having now, haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apparently the Chargrilled Pork Steak at Ante is tender and succulent according to many reviews. I know you have been to the one in Publika but the pork steak is sold out (maybe because it is that tasty) so maybe you could go there to try again. Perhaps it will change your mind that there are no tender pork steak or pork chop. I know Phong Hong went to Ante in One Utama but she did not order the pork steak. Would be interesting to see what you think about the pork steak there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've been to eat pork chops at places where reviews said they were tender but they turned out to be not also (maybe my definition/expectation cannot be met...hehe!). Yes, I'd like to try Ante's pork steak some day.

      Delete
    2. You are right. The degree of tenderness expected is quite subjective. I have weak teeth so for people with strong teeth to say that a piece of meat is tender, I would say it is not. But I guess Ante's pork steak should be tender enough from the many reviews although one may have bad luck and get a not on par piece of pork steak on that day unless Ante has super good quality control to ensure all the tenderness are the same before the pork steak can be served.

      Delete
  7. I was disappointed when they left their Ampang home. It was lovely having an outdoor cafe in that area. Their coffee was excellent too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do enjoy their coffees though I've not been to their Ampang home before they moved. I can certainly understand why people would enjoy their coffees in an outdoor cafe.

      Delete
  8. Haha, so clever you to related Tulip with luncheon meat & porky place :)
    Those dishes look good in portion and affordable in price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All three cafes under the same management offer good portions with affordable pricing. Haha, I like to eat Tulip luncheon meat mah! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...