Pages

Friday 4 December 2015

Two Scones One Cup (Hot Food) @ Sec 17 PJ

Ever since my earlier visit with friends to Two Scones One Cup @ Section 17 PJ, I've wanted to return to try their hot food.  [#Note: My earlier review of my scones and tea experience was good enough to earn me some free scones but, incidentally, not good enough to be featured on their Facebook....kekeke! ;D]  Thanks for the gesture anyway, it wasn't necessary really (and, no, I didn't claim the free scones when I revisited).

So, on a Sunday morning, I did return (with my family) only to find that the café was not 'fully' opened at 10.10am (incidentally, they open from 10am to 10pm).  By that, I was told that coffee was not available (until the 'boss' shows up) and hot food were only limited to a few items on the menu (like their all day Big Breakfast and some sandwiches until their 'chef' shows up).  We left (since they could not confirm as to what time the 'boss' and 'chef' would turn up) but I did return another day, this time for dinner to ensure we won't be disappointed again.

We ordered an appetiser of Fried Calamari @ RM10.90 for sharing.  It was served with a side salad of green, red and yellow bell peppers, cherry tomatoes and mixed salad leaves with a light drizzle of balsamic vinegar dressing.  The fried calamari was nicely executed, crisp and crunchy, but (surprisingly) didn't come with a common dipping sauce (like mayo or tartare sauce).  When I enquired, the gentleman only offered chilli sauce which I politely declined.

We went with a local favourite for our main course, the Nasi Lemak Combo @ RM14.90, and was amazed with the generous portion size when it arrived (this can be shared by two if you're a small-eater).  The fragrant rice was served with a bowl of "sambal sotong" (chilli squid), a piece of "ayam goreng berempah" (spiced fried chicken), fried egg and condiments of sambal, fried anchovies and nuts and slices of cucumber.

The sambal sotong, cooked with sliced onions, was slightly spicy and sour but with a nice punchy flavour.  The amount of squid was rather generous, I must say, and they were tender enough.

The ayam goreng berempah featured a whole chicken leg, marinated with spices (especially lemongrass), which was fried to a nice crisp though slightly over-fried to render the meat a bit dry.  Though I thought that the chicken could do with a wee bit more seasoning, it was still alright since I prefer food that is less salty but, for those used to robust flavours, they would find the chicken very under-seasoned (like my husband did).  But, at the end of the day, you can't really fault this truly value-for-money dish, coz at RM14.90, you get one whole chicken leg and a substantial amount of sambal sotong...even if the flavours came up a bit short! ;)

Our other main was the Salmon Steak @ RM29.90 served with mashed potatoes and a side salad.  Though the menu described it as a salmon steak, it was actually a salmon fillet.  I asked to make sure it didn't have a bone in the centre (I didn't want a repeat of what we encountered at Coliseum Café).  Sometimes, I just wished the restaurants would get the names of the salmon cuts correctly described or properly labelled in their menus.

We were given a choice as to how we want our salmon done and it was properly executed to our preferred doneness.  The salmon was moist and flaky.  It was topped with a creamy and buttery sauce...not too cloying as some had dripped onto the part-smooth-part-chunky mashed potatoes underneath.

I enjoyed the Ravishing Rose Petal Tea (not part of the Gryphon brand of teas) so much the last time I was here for the scones that I immediately ordered that again, but, this time, the iced version!  The Ravishing Rose Petal Tea (Cold) @ RM10 wasn't quite the same like the hot version.  The cold version (with all that ice) was so watered down and diluted, making the tea flavour almost non-existent, so stick with the hot version if you want to savour the aroma and taste of the tea.

Honey Lemon (Cold) @ RM5.50
 
#Side Story
Referring to my earlier story on the place being not 'fully' opened when I was there, one of the owners was rather apologetic (when I mentioned this experience to him) and offered us a slice of sponge cake (on the house) for the 'inconvenience' caused.  I said it was perfectly alright and that he didn't have to do that but he said the cake was already being warmed up.  In the end, it was a small but nice gesture on his part and sincerely demonstrated his desire to provide the best service possible :)  For me, I just wanted to highlight the fact that if one can't be ready to open at a certain time, then just push the opening time later and we would be fine with that (just not say you're open at 10am but aren't ready to serve when your customers get there at 10am)...hopefully, this was just a one-off case.

My Personal Opinion

For the reasonable (café) prices they charge, the food is more than acceptable.  A fried rice or nasi lemak (with either sotong sambal or ayam goreng berempah) costs just under RM10, sandwiches at around RM12 and a selection of pasta at around RM15....with warm and friendly service.

If you're not here for Two Scones One Cup (actually, don't miss the scones) but for Two Mains One Appetiser, know that it won't cost you an arm and a leg! ;)

Two Scones One Cup
627 Jalan 17/8
46400 Petaling Jaya
Selangor
Tel: 012-613 8200

 

12 comments:

  1. wow.. would definitely go for the salmon and the nasi lemak... I also hate it when they get the cuts wrong! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because all (or many) of us prefer the fillet to the steak cut! :D

      Delete
  2. Yes! I mean, opening late is not ideal, but perfectly legit. But I would be seriously pissed if a restaurant/cafe declares an opening time but are not ready to serve at said time. There are a lot of people (and more and more) who hates crowds and wants to be there on opening time, so better make sure you are ready when you open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm perfectly fine if they (say) open at 11am (a lot of them do), then I'll know to choose one that fits my time but not go there to find out that they're not ready to serve. In fact, that morning, there were two other groups that came in just after us.

      Delete
  3. That's not good, is it, when they are supposed to be open at 10:00am and yet the "boss" and "chef" are not there at that time and orders are limited. I would be very disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who wouldn't be.....I just hope that this was just a one-off case! :(

      Delete
  4. If they want to open at 10am but cannot serve the full menu then just have a separate breakfast menu from 10 to 12 noon with limited items. Many restaurants do this.

    The owner is nice to give you all a slice of cake for your inconvenience. The combo nasi lemak price is attractive since it looks like a lot of sambal sotong and the chicken leg is quite large.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I must say that the nasi lemak is real value for money. For you, Mun, that serving is enough for two. And yeah, it was very sweet of the owner to try to 'sweeten' things up! ;D

      Delete
  5. i can definitely some casual customers coming in and thinking, hmmm, we'll order scones, tea, maybe some western fare ... and they'll be pleasantly surprised to find out they can also order nasi lemak :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they know we can't live on scones alone! :D :D

      Delete
  6. Seems as though they're making an effort with service. I think service is often the easiest thing to perfect, but the most lacking in many outlets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their service has always been warm and friendly...and it's good to know that they're sincere about wanting to make an effort to provide even better service.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...