Pages

Monday 30 March 2015

Sun Fatt Kee (Sisters' Curry Laksa) @ Seapark PJ

A stall in this coffee shop, located behind Seapark's Maybank, has (reportedly) been dishing out a mean curry laksa for more than 2 decades.  It is none other than the famous Sisters' Curry Laksa in Restoran Sun Fatt Kee @ Seapark PJ (not to be confused with the equally famous or legendary Sisters' Curry Mee in Penang).

When you approach the stall, you'll see that it's adorned with numerous newspaper clippings (both in English and Chinese) which is a tell-tale sign that the stall is highly popular.  The stall also sells beef noodles which I have yet to try.

This was my husband's bowl of Meehoon/Mee Curry Laksa @ RM7 (for big, small is RM6) which comes with shredded chicken, "see hum" (blood cockles), "tau fu pok" (bean curd puffs), long beans and bean sprouts.  Actually, the 'big' here is more like a 'small'!

And this was my bowl of Meehoon/Mee Curry Laksa with Poached Chicken @ RM10 (big also...and this portion size was, at least, worthy of its name and more fulfilling)!  I always opt for poached chicken pcs instead of shredded chicken with my curry laksa and it didn't disappoint at all...the poached chicken was very "wat" (smooth) and tender....I loved it =)  They also have an option of beef curry laksa (after all, they sell beef noodles).

The blood cockles, on the other hand, were very fresh and juicy and you can request for more (at a price, of course).  Didn't need to pay for more as my husband's cockles ended up in my bowl (and the lime too)....gimme more, gimme more!! ;D

This curry broth version, with a squeeze of lime, is lighter than the curry laksa at Imbi coz it's not as heavily laden with "santan" (coconut milk) but still aromatic and flavourful.  It's also less oily.  I did enjoy it though my husband still prefers the Imbi one as that one is thicker and has more santan flavour!

The only drawback is that there is no "sambal" (cooked chilli paste) provided for you to enhance the spiciness of the curry laksa.  What I got instead is a fresh chilli paste that you'd usually eat with beef noodles...and you know that's not going to work :(

My Personal Opinion

For those who prefer a lighter non-spicy version of curry laksa, you'll probably find this more to your liking...definitely a worthy curry laksa adversary ;-)  Go for the one with poached chicken for a more satisfying bowl.

Although the one from Mei Sin (Imbi) is still a notch higher and my personal preference for its more savoury and robust flavour, nevertheless, it's fair to say that this is still a very decent bowl of curry laksa by many standards.  It's still good.....it's just different!

Restoran Sun Fatt Kee
2-28 Jalan 21/11B Seapark
46300 Petaling Jaya
Selangor

18 comments:

  1. Looks good. Not the same Sisters from Penang famous for their ckt? I heard they set up a branch some place in KL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, this is not the same sisters of the Penang CKT at Macalister Road. Set up a branch in KL...I don't know about that unless you meant Penang's Lorong Seratus Tahun Curry Mee in SS2...then got lah!

      Delete
  2. Penang mana ada Sisters curry mee? Sisters Char Kuay Teow got lah, famous but not very good if you ask me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tsk...tsk...you almost can consider as Penang lang already. You don't know about the legendary sisters curry mee at the Air Itam market meh? I saw it on an episode of Taste with Jason (I think). These two unmarried sisters are like in their 80s already (when they leave this earth then tak ada sisters curry mee lah). Penang also got the famous sisters CKT...a lot of the hawkers are sisters, that's why :D

      Delete
    2. Haha, I really never heard of this before! I hardly venture to Air Itam actually, so when you mention Air Itam, I can only think of laksa XD

      Delete
    3. Well, now you know...in case anyone should ask you. But, since you reside in Penang (and if I were you), I think I would pay a visit to these legendary sisters (coz when they're gone, so will the stall). When I saw the show, it brought a tear to my eye to see and hear their story (they look like your typical grandma just that these two have had a hard life). They don't even have a stall, they just sit on a small wooden stool and ply their trade since they were young girls, so much so that their backs are hunched (even their customers who eat there sit on these stools unless they tapau).

      Delete
  3. I am not much of a curry laksa fan but if it is good, I don't mind having a bowl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a fan, huh? My husband and I are big, big fans! ;D

      Delete
  4. more cockles for me too!!!! i wouldn't mind a bowl full of just curry and cockles!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, now, Sean...control yourself. Everything in moderation, otherwise you end up with an upset stomach.....hee...hee :D

      Delete
  5. I have eaten this curry mee before. Not really memorable for me, ok only but I think I found it salty. I have also eaten the beef noodle here. It has a very strong spice/herb taste which my spouse did not like. So are you going to try the beef noodle next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't find it salty...it was savoury (to me). I think the majority of the population prefers food that is more bold and punchy in flavour but you (I know) like your food subtle (so those food that I refer to as subtle or bland is probably more your 'cup of tea' ;D) I heard this curry laksa made it to the top 10 of The Star People's Food Awards.

      Delete
  6. woaww.... impossible i will try it.. because i cannot tahan spicy even chili source.
    LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. curry laksa is good but for the price that i pay, i can have better portion & ingredients, equivalent good laksa in Happy Garden. and do not try their beef noodles, it is no good and extremely overprice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're more well known for their curry laksa than beef noodles and I always end up eating the laksa when I'm here, so I've not tried their beef noodles.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...